The BIHT was initially built in 2006-2007 as a resort by Mr. Tshewang Norbu. The resort was then called ‘Bongde Goma Resort’ and it ran until 2014. In March 2015, the proprietor collaborated with a Swiss Foundation called ‘Bhutan Learning Exchange Foundation’ which was led by Mr. Perieo Grandi (Swiss Foundation) and started the Institute. Mr. Adrien and Mr. Auke started the Institute with the first batch of 30 students
Although the foundation aimed to make the Institution sustainable within three years and hand over to the proprietor, the foreign expatriates could not continue due to unavoidable circumstances.
Mr. Sonam Tshering a senior retired educationist and a veteran educational leader was being appointed as the Director with effect from 1st March 2019. He has reformed and streamlined the management system to ensure quality delivery of training and enhancing enrolment to provide more scope for unemployed youth.
Vision and Mission
To make Bongde Institute of Hotel and Tourism a center of excellence for hospitality training.
- To make unemployed youth employable in hospitality industry
- To make the Institute and the Hotel sustainable.
- Provide excellent on the job training that makes the alumni at higher demand in job market.
- To empower unemployed Bhutanese youth with quality professional skills.
- To enable youth to build their career in the hospitality profession.